Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Monday, February 1st.
Travel. Broadens the mind. Then it gets so broad, it explodes and makes a mess.
Two weeks ago, it was Tortola, Antigua, St. Martin, Philadelphia, Toronto, Halifax. Yesterday, it was Toronto (jammed with seething masses of humanity at 4 am), Charlotte, Charlotte again, St. Martin, and today I'm waiting to fly to Tortola.

As an itinerary, it's not too bad for someone who decides that they need to get home in a hurry for a visit, but with all those stops, the potential for mess-ups increases exponentially. My bag, however, has faithfully arrived when and where I have, and for this I am very grateful. But yesterday, something went wrong with the US Airways plane about an hour out of Charlotte, and we turned around and went back to get it fixed. Bit of a stomach twister, that one, but nothing bad happened. Just irritating stuff. Like lunch vouchers for $5 that you had to wait in line for. For 30 minutes. And nothing to purchase for $5. I don't think you can get a bottle of water and a newspaper for $5 in most airports.

I decided not to stand in line for the meager voucher, and went to the closest food place, and got a turkey bacon panini that had no bacon, and was served on rye bread. Also a beer, for which I had to show ID. I said, "I'm 51 years old?" but she pointed to the sign that said "we ID all patrons." I'll bet she hates her stupid job. I couldn't bring myself to complain about the bacon-free pseudo panini. She was up to her ears in disgruntle from all the passengers on our flight.

I missed my connecting flight out of St. Martin, so US Airways came up with cab vouchers, more paltry meal vouchers, and a night at the Sonesta Maho. Better than sleeping on the beach by a looooong shot. But $10 didn't cover half of the tired buffet which is all there was for dinner, and the Sonesta Maho, no dopes, put me in a room close to the thumpy music disco. After being awake for 19 hours, who cares.

St. Martin airport, nearly deserted, 8:30 am. LIAT lady checked me in on the first flight to Tortola, no trouble. Security, passport check, no problem. Departure boards list my Tortola flight as going to Antigua, at a gate about 1/2 mile from the gate I was told. I've got lots of time, so I sauntered over to the other gate and asked what's up with that.

"Oh, the boards are all wrong. You must follow the boarding card." Very matter of fact. Back to the original gate, where the screen at the desk announces this is the flight to St. Thomas. I ask if I'm in the right place to go to Tortola. "Oh, the boards are all wrong, we ask them to change it, but they don't." She calls us to board, so we all line up for a few minutes, then she tells us to sit down again. We're waiting for other passengers. (I can tell her where they are, they're a half-mile away waiting at the wrong gate.)

This happens twice. Then we're told to line up "over there." Then a uniformed fella from another airline comes over and says "What flight?" and we all respond, Tortola. He says, you're not supposed to stand here, this is "our" spot. Eventually, we got on the plane and Randy was waiting for me in Tortola.

Re-entering the Caribbean is always a bit of an adjustment. Had very necessary time with family and a few friends, but it was bitter cold in Toronto, and I was overwhelmingly glad to get back to the boat.

Feb 6. All is well, we're in the USVI anchored at Christmas Cove. Michelle and Charlie are also here. After we anchored, this pretty little boat sailed in and anchored under sail. The next morning, we had both wandered around in the current, and were getting pretty close, and the fella, Kevin, and Randy have a chat before we shift over. Turns out he's the guy that bought Randy's Rozinante. He came over yesterday for a beer. Small World. And his monther's maiden name was Susan Brown.

Feb 8. Rolling in Charlotte Amalie, and the boat is wandering around in the dark and the whole anchorage is weird, boats pointing every which way. Current, no wind, swell. Not so comfortable. But we had a great sail from Francis Bay here today, and just after we anchored, more serendipity, we get a call on the radio from Anne on Freya of Clyde. We met them Christmas Eve in Verro Beach, 2005, and this is the first time our paths have crossed again. Spent a lovely evening with them. Now we'll roll and do anchor watches until the place sorts itself out!

Now I'm going to try to post photos......

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Zettell said...

So good to hear you are back on the boat. Sail away... -- ox SMZ

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it all safe and sound, sans bacon on your sammy. Sure enjoyed seeing you in the dead of winter too.
Missin ya here in PM.
Gayle

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Counter