Thursday, November 02, 2006

What's next, and where to?

I've been back home for a week, and I'm starting to get back the colour I washed off in Nova Scotia. Daily hot showers are murder on a tan.

While I was back in Halifax, lots of people I ran into just assumed I was back for good. Not so, I kept saying. I realized while I was "home" that my kids were happy to see me, but they were managing life just fine without me. I visited our house and our tenants and besides a few longing looks at the washer and dryer and the fridge and stove, I didn't feel any pangs. (Actually, I looked at all our crap still stored in the basement, and said 'get me out of here'.) I got up in the mornings at Anna's and put on long pants, sweaters, heavy socks, and had a think about how much it was costing Anna to keep her tiny house lukewarm... so I sent Randy an email and said let's sell the house.

Anyone want to buy a terrific house on Duncan Street? Send me an email (
bigsue58@hotmail.com). I met with a real estate agent, and we'll either sell privately or have her list it when our tenants find a new place. Then we will have to come home and deal with the basement. Bleccchh.

It looks like we've turned the corner and become real cruisers, whatever that means. There were times that I envied the folks that knew for sure when they were going to turn around and head back north, back to their jobs, homes, families. That decision was sort of hanging over my head, since I felt that it was probably going to be me who felt the need to go back. It's been a something of a surprise to find that I'm no longer attached to all the stuff we've collected, and after a year, I'm completely certain that I don't want to start job hunting and find another desk to park at for the next few years. Selling the house will simplify things enormously, and solve the few problems with cruising that have been driving me nuts -- not enough money to get home regularly to see my family, and not enough money to sort out better communication equipment. Randy is probably thinking more in terms of finally getting a self-steering system and maybe a wind generator. We'll negotiate.

So, no, we're not coming home this year. We're going to doodle around here in the warm water, make a bunch more friends, drink rum, row the little boat, sail to some islands we haven't seen yet and celebrate birthdays with no regrets.

Tomorrow, an island tour. Should be lots of photos coming soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xcelsior said...

Good for you...may I suggest what we did with all that stuff in the basement. GIVE IT ALL AWAY. Between the boys, grandchildren and "Value Village". The more precious items are being stored with friends i.e photo albums, artwork etc.
We are closing in...and soon will be south with you in the winter months. Just approaching the Dismal Swamp!
Cheers
Xcelsior (Pat & Ted)

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Counter