Sunday, April 14, 2013


Canoe - Part 6
Another week has passed since the last update and things are progressing at a stately pace (ie., slow) After fairing and sanding the outside, fibreglass cloth was laid over the hull and epoxy resin squeegeed through it to wet it out and glue it to the wood. It came out pretty smooth so I decided to wash the waxy residue off and apply the second coat to fill the weave in the cloth. This is where the “oh, oh, dummy” happened. After a thorough washing, I spread the second coat and as I was finishing up, I noticed fisheyes forming in certain areas. That was odd because the washing was supposed to prevent that. So I tell Susan and she asks which rag I used and I say the nice clean blue one on the bucket. Whereupon she informs me this was the rag she used to wax the truck, so instead of removing wax, I was adding more. What a maroon, as Bugs Bunny would say.

So I now spend the next two days sanding off all the second coat of resin, after once again washing, this time with an old T-shirt straight from my drawer. No chances of screwing up this  time. Anyway, the hull is now really smooth and ready to be attacked again. However, being somewhat tired of sanding epoxy, I took a break , turned the canoe upright and applied a sealer coat of varnish to the inside.I figured I needed a lift in spirit so the sight of all that lovely varnished cedar did the job. Stay tuned for further adventures in canoe building.  See below for photos. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet and the Mister said...

Randy, the canoe is beautiful. You do some fine work...you should think about selling them. But not this one. This one is for the two of you. Hope to get down sometime to give her a try. (The canoe...not Sue.)

Janet and Bill

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

She certainly is beautiful (the canoe's not bad either!) Glad to see that all this hard work allows a break for a glass or two. looking forward to future progress reports. Sharon & Andrew

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Counter